Abbey Veterinary Centre - Whether you would like to begin your career in a caring and supportive team, or you have some experience and a wish to progress further our independent small animal practice is the very best place to begin or to advance your veterinary career.
Find a Fulfilling Career that Progresses Beyond the Mundane
There is no small animal first opinion practice in the UK which is better equipped to allow you to be the sort of vet you aspire to be. Our team of ten vets and more than 20 nurses (RVNs and students) are here to help you pursue a fulfilling veterinary career.
For Imagers: we have Ultrasound (abdominal, cardiac, ophthalmic, musculoskeletal), DR, in-house MRI and CT and a veterinary team who can produce and read all these modalities. For what we can teach you to do, please see https://www.abbeyvetcentregrimsby.co.uk/diagnostic-imaging-referrals/
For Surgeons: we have Soft tissue and Orthopaedic theatres; Endoscopy including arthroscopy; Dentistry with DR radiography to determine extractions; Experienced colleagues and great nursing support. For what we are capable of teaching you to do please see https://www.abbeyvetcentregrimsby.co.uk/surgical-referrals/. We trained some of our current surgeons from their first day in practice and we can do so for you too.
For potential Cardiologists: advanced cardiac ultrasound is part of our regular caseload. Our cardiac ultrasonographers learned their skills in this practice and would happily teach you too. Holter monitors are also part of our diagnostic work up and we are seeking to constantly expand the cardiac treatment regimes we offer.
If Internal Medicine is your thing: we have separate dog, cat and exotic wards with more than forty in-patient hospital kennels and an isolation unit. Medical management of hospital cases from the simple to the complex happen here daily. If you wish to acquire experience of serious case management in a supportive environment, this is a great place to do so.
We hope to have Certificate holders in both Cardiology and Internal Medicine on the team by later this year (exam success permitting!).
We also have a team of Ophthalmologists who are advancing the eye treatment which we offer to our clients and are happy to teach what they know and the skills they have.
For Experienced Vets who would like to Advance their Skills Further
We are an independent practice dedicated to providing the very best outcomes for our clients and great job satisfaction for the whole team.
We do not have restrictive protocols. You are free to treat cases as your professional opinion indicates. You are free to order treatments which are not on our standard order list, although, when you do, we ask the owner to buy the whole pack so it is not wasted.
We do not have targets for either treatments or procedures. We appreciate that our team is doing their best for the benefit of our patients and that it is veterinary professional opinion not targets which should drive what we do.
Fully funded Certificate of your choice. Providing it is useful to the clinical work in the practice we will fund your certificate.
Certificate course attendance in work time which usually equates to ten days paid CPD leave per year for the duration of the course. We expect you to study and do the written course work in your own time but, if you need help with any aspect of that, we have people who have recently been through the same process here to help and to advise.
Proper recognition of the effort involved once you get your Certificate. We give a £10,000 p.a. pay rise once you achieve your new Certificate.
If you want to move on afterwards, work with us for only a single calendar year after receiving your certificate. Obviously, we hope you will love us and stay longer as part of the referral veterinary team.
For those who want to go further still, we fund Advanced Certificates, Advanced Veterinary Practitioner status, Post Graduate Diplomas.
For more details about career support and progression please see https://www.abbeyvetcentregrimsby.co.uk/careers/
Find Quality of Life and Renumeration Commensurate with your Veterinary Skills
Everyone who works here is a valued member of our team. We will not only advance your veterinary skills but have a package which is equal to anywhere in the UK. Our commitment to equal opportunities is much more than just a mission statement.
- Salary is according to the skills you are bringing to our team.
- Fully funded 5 days annual CPD (as long as it is relevant to our work in practice) with no upper limit on budget and five days paid CPD attendance time.
- Fully funded certificate course costs and funded time off for course attendance or on-line study periods.
- Fully funded further study (Advance practitioner status, Advanced Certificates and Post Graduate Diplomas).
- A £10,000 per annum pay rise when you receive your first Certificate.
- Minimal lock in period after attaining your qualification (one calendar year only should you wish to gain your certificate and move on).
- 7 weeks holiday every year including bank holidays on which you are not scheduled to work. Our Bank Holiday rota at one in 10 is substantially less than one per year.
- When we work a weekend of on call duty, we get the following Wednesday to Monday off in addition to our holiday allowance. Many of us find that time very handy for visiting friends in distant part or a quick break away from it all.
- The night-time out of hours rota is a very quality of life friendly one in ten. We do very little out of hours work and the nurses do the overnight patient care, not the veterinary surgeons.
- Rent free modern accommodation available away from the main surgery if required.
- Professional memberships: We cover the cost of your RCVS renewal fees, Veterinary defence Society Insurance and BSAVA membership.
Where to Find Us
We are located in the conservation area of a sea-side town on the East Coast of Lincolnshire with great access both to the sea and to the Lincolnshire Wolds and lots of opportunities for sports enthusiasts, sailing buffs, horse riders, mountain bikers and much, much more.
For further details about where we are, please see: https://www.abbeyvetcentregrimsby.co.uk/about-us/
Our Lovely Clients
Our clients, many of whom we have known for great many years, are almost all lovely, understanding people who welcome new members of out team as much as we do. Anyone working here rapidly acquires a dedicated following of ‘fans’ who would never want their pet treated by anyone else. We do not continue to see people who are not nice to our staff so those who we do see are very nice indeed.
If you would like a call from one of our vets for a chat about how they find working here, please call 01472 240422 and we will arrange a time to talk otherwise please send your CV via the Apply Now button.