Abbey Veterinary Centre
Whether you would like to begin your career in a caring and supportive team, or you have some experience and a wish to progress further our independent small animal practice is the very best place to begin or to advance your veterinary career.
Find a Fulfilling Career which Progresses Beyond the Mundane
There is no small animal first opinion practice in the UK which is better equipped to allow you to be the sort of vet you aspire to be. Our team of ten vets and more than 20 nurses (RVNs and students) are here to help you pursue a fulfilling veterinary career.
For Imagers: we have Ultrasound (abdominal, cardiac, ophthalmic, musculoskeletal), DR, in-house MRI and CT and a veterinary team who can produce and read all these modalities. For what we can teach you to do, please see https://www.abbeyvetcentregrimsby.co.uk/diagnostic-imaging-referrals/
For Surgeons: we have Soft tissue and Orthopaedic theatres; Endoscopy including arthroscopy; Dentistry with DR radiography to determine extractions; Experienced colleagues and great nursing support. For what we are capable of teaching you to do please see https://www.abbeyvetcentregrimsby.co.uk/surgical-referrals/. We trained some of our current surgeons from their first day in practice and we can do so for you too.
For potential Cardiologists: advanced cardiac ultrasound is part of our regular caseload. Our cardiac ultrasonographers learned their skills in this practice and would happily teach you too. Holter monitors are also part of our diagnostic work up and we are seeking to constantly expand the cardiac treatment regimes we offer.
If Internal Medicine is your thing: we have separate dog, cat and exotic wards with more than forty in-patient hospital kennels and an isolation unit. Medical management of hospital cases from the simple to the complex happen here daily. If you wish to acquire experience of serious case management in a supportive environment, this is a great place to do so.
We hope to have Certificate holders in both Cardiology and Internal Medicine on the team by later this year (exam success permitting!).
We also have a team of Ophthalmologists who are advancing the eye treatment which we offer to our clients and are happy to teach what they know and the skills they have.
For new graduates:
- A dedicated and experienced Vet GDP advisor to guide you through the tricky transformation from new grad to practising veterinary surgeon. We have many years of experience in supporting new grads starting out in practice. Our first new grad on the scheme passed her portfolio with no resubmissions (Yippee!). We can help you do so as painlessly as possible.
- A team of experienced veterinary surgeons including many certificate holders who are all very happy to teach techniques and advise as much and as often as we are needed. For a complete list of who we are please see https://www.abbeyvetcentregrimsby.co.uk/our-staff/
- Fully funded CPD tailored to your clinical interests. This is not ‘one size fits all package’ but is chosen specifically by you in consultation with your vet GDP advisor.
- If imaging does it for you, why not start off with abdominal ultrasound and abdominal / thoracic radiography?
- If surgical skills are your thing, why not go for emergency surgery and GI surgery to name but two possibilities?
- If you really do not know what might suit you best, we have loads of great suggestions and no restrictive budget.
- Great CPD in your first year of practice life really does set you up for a happy and fulfilling career.
- A ready-made network of friendly fellow vets and nurses many of whom are recent graduates to be your support network while you find your feet in your first job. The team has a vibrant social existence outside work in which you will be invited to play an active role.
It is a tribute to the support that we give that more than half the current team arrived here as new graduates and liked it so much that they are still part of the team.
If you would like a call from one of our vets for a chat about how they find working here, please call 01472 240422 and we will arrange a time to talk.
For more details about career support and progression please see https://www.abbeyvetcentregrimsby.co.uk/careers/
Find Quality of Life and Renumeration Commensurate with your Veterinary Skills
Everyone who works here is a valued member of our team. We will not only advance your veterinary skills but have a package which is equal to anywhere in the UK. Our commitment to equal opportunities is much more than just a mission statement.
- Year 1 starting salary of £34,000
- Rent free modern accommodation available away from the main surgery if required.
- Five days paid CPD attendance time and fully funded CPD (as long as it is relevant to our work in practice) with no upper limit on budget.
- 7 weeks holiday every year including bank holidays on which you are not scheduled to work. Our Bank Holiday rota at one in 10 is substantially less than one per year.
- When we work a weekend of on call duty, we get the following Wednesday to Monday off in addition to our holiday allowance. Many of us find that time very handy for visiting friends in distant part or a quick break away from it all.
- The night-time out of hours rota is a very quality of life friendly one in ten. We do very little out of hours work and the nurses do the overnight patient care, not the veterinary surgeons.
- All new grads work only alongside a more experienced veterinary surgeon at nights or at weekends until experienced enough to manage alone. Even then, the support continues. We are available on the phone or physically in the surgery if you are facing a situation which you do not feel able to manage. For how this benefits your veterinary skills please see https://www.abbeyvetcentregrimsby.co.uk/more-information/
- Professional memberships: We cover the cost of your RCVS renewal fees, Veterinary defence Society Insurance and BSAVA membership.
Where to Find Us
We are located in the conservation area of a sea-side town on the East Coast of Lincolnshire with great access both to the sea and to the Lincolnshire Wolds and lots of opportunities for sports enthusiasts, sailing buffs, horse riders, mountain bikers and much, much more.
For further details about where we are, please see: https://www.abbeyvetcentregrimsby.co.uk/about-us/
Our Lovely Clients
Our clients, many of whom we have known for great many years, are almost all lovely, understanding people who welcome new members of out team as much as we do. Anyone working here rapidly acquires a dedicated following of ‘fans’ who would never want their pet treated by anyone else. We do not continue to see people who are not nice to our staff so those who we do see are very nice indeed.
If you would like a call from one of our vets for a chat about how they find working here, please call 01472 240422 and we will arrange a time to talk otherwise please send your CV via the Apply Now button.