Veterinary Surgeon - The Donkey Sanctuary Ireland (DSI)
- Donkey Sanctuary UK
- Liscarroll, Cork (IE)
- Closing date
- 19 Feb 2023
- Veterinary Surgeon
- Contract Type
- Fixed Contract
The Donkey Sanctuary Ireland (DSI) works as part of an international animal welfare organisation, offering care and protection to donkeys and mules worldwide. We are working for a world where donkeys and mules live free from suffering, and their contribution to humanity is fully valued.
We are achieving this by transforming the quality of life for donkeys, mules and people worldwide through greater understanding, collaboration and support, and by promoting lasting, mutually life-enhancing relationships.
We have an excllent opportunity for a Veterinary Surgeon with equine skills to join our friendly team at The Donkey Sanctuary (Ireland), to undertake routine and emergency clinical care of all animals resident at The Donkey Sanctuary, and to support the Head of Veterinary Services in facilitating the safe and smooth running of the veterinary department.
Principal duties within this varied and rewarding role will include –
- Assisting, promoting and undertaking duties required to promote donkey health and welfare, with involvement in the Donkey Welfare Improvement Scheme and with referral donkey in-patients
- Providing progressive education for donkey owners and veterinary surgeons throughout Ireland
- Participating in the provision of an emergency on-call service
- Monitoring the health and advising on the management of all animals resident at The Donkey Sanctuary (Ireland) Limited, and maintaining effective communication with all staff associated with their care
- Providing advice on donkey health and welfare, both within the organisation and in the public domain, including veterinary surgeons and member of the general public
- Supporting and assisting in the training of foreign veterinary surgeons and visitors, veterinary students, volunteers and work experience students
- Deputising for the Head of Veterinary Services as appropriate.
A veterinary degree with MVB, MRCVS or DVM, together with demonstrable experience of equine practice, is essential, as are excellent communication, team working and interpersonal skills, and a full valid driving licence. Experience of donkey medicine/surgery and of working for an equine charity are desirable.
If you feel you have the qualifications, skills and experience to fulfil this vital role, and would like to be part of the evolving program of change taking place within the charity, we would love to hear from you.
Based in Liscarroll in County Cork, this is a full-time, 1 year, fixed term contract, working 39 hours a week, plus evening and weekend work as part of a rota.
Closing date for completed applications: Sunday 19th February.
Submit your application via our portal which is accessible via the APPLY button
The Donkey Sanctuary is a Disability Confident Employer.
The Donkey Sanctuary is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of vulnerable people (children and adults), and expects all staff and volunteers to undertake this commitment. Applicants will be subject to safer recruitment processes, and may be Garda vetted where required for the post.
Please note: The Guaranteed interview scheme is only applicable to candidates who consider themselves to have a disability applying for roles based within the United Kingdom
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert