2 x Veterinary Investigation Officer (VIO) APHA - Bury St Edmunds and Penrith
- Animal and Plant Health Agency
- Bury St Edmunds and Penrith
- Competitive salary
- Closing date
- 31 Jan 2023
- Food safety / Public health
- Public / Government sector
- Veterinary Surgeon, Regulation
- Contract Type
The overarching purpose of the role is to provide veterinary surveillance and disease investigation in order to safeguard animal health and welfare, public health, protect the economy and enhance food security, in support of GB Governments’ policies.
You will join a dedicated team whose aim is protecting animal and plant health for the benefit of people, the environment and the economy.
The work is varied, interesting and stimulating.
In this role you will contribute to a diagnostic service investigating animal diseases and welfare, primarily in farmed livestock and wildlife. You will require awareness of the possibility of notifiable disease, detection of new and re-emerging threats, and investigation and advising on food safety incidents and zoonotic disease.
You will carry out postmortem examinations, employ relevant laboratory tests, interpret and report findings, giving relevant advice to private veterinary practitioners. Some investigations may also involve visits to farms. Being able to communicate effectively with famers, private veterinarians, stakeholders and policy makers is essential in this role.
You will be expected to work to quality standards and observe stringent health and safety requirements. Full training will be given, and you will be encouraged to develop your expertise.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- A good understanding of the UK farming industry, including a sound knowledge of diseases and diagnostic processes across the species.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- The post holder will have to be comfortable with communicating across people and groups with a range of scientific knowledge.
- Well-developed interpersonal, decision-making skills.
- Evidence of collaborative working with different teams of people.
- Ability to maintain and assure appropriate levels of quality assurance for scientific work, evidence and advice.
- A high level of motivation, interest in corporate work, self-awareness with high inner resilience and calmness under pressure.
- Ability to maintain a customer delivery focus at all times.
- Knowledge of Government scanning surveillance and threat detection, and an understanding of how data are gathered to provide surveillance intelligence.
- Strategic thinking with diagnostic, analytical and creative problem-solving abilities.
Knowledge and experience in pathology is preferred.
In return for your dedication, we’ll support your ongoing development with on the job and other training opportunities. You will also enjoy excellent Civil Service benefits and pension.
We will be assessing applicable UK farm animal knowledge and farm animal veterinary experience, ability and technical skills through the application process, and during the interview.
It is essential that you are a member or fellow of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons. A range of relevant experience, including work in farm animal veterinary practice, is ideal but not essential. You will require a valid UK driving licence as you will travel and work with people nationwide. We’ll expect you to be a great communicator.
Please be aware that you will need to set-up a GRS account to formalise the application process.
Contact point for applicants: Steve Jacklin - email@example.com
Please follow the link via the APPLY button for further information and details on how to proceed with the selection process
Please note we may have other full or part time posts at other APHA Veterinary Investigation Centres in the future.
Please see the links to apply for the following areas:
VIO Penrith: Veterinary Investigation Officer (VIO) SD22/164 - Civil Service Jobs - GOV.UK
VIO Bury St Edmunds: Veterinary Investigation Officer (VIO) SD22/164 - Civil Service Jobs - GOV.UK
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert