Experienced Veterinary Surgeon required at Bilton Veterinary Centre (copy)
Bilton Veterinary Centre has an exciting opportunity for an additional small-animal Veterinary Surgeon to join their team!
The ideal candidate would possess:
- At least two to three years’ experience
- Good confidence in routine procedures
- Excellent communication skills
- Enjoy interacting with clients and being a part of a successful team
The working pattern for this position will be 40 hours per week across 4-days with the same day off each week (3 days, 8.30-7pm, 1 day 8-6pm). We have a healthy mix of consulting, operating and work-up time as well as regular time set aside for admin work, phone calls, lab reporting etc. We have 15-minute appointment times, with generally 8 appointments followed by a break.
The salary for this position is up to £50,000 depending on experience.
OOH and Weekends
This role does not require any OOH night duties or Weekend work generally beyond 4pm on Saturdays.
The phones go over to our local OOH provider at 7pm on Weeknights and 1pm on Saturdays. We have a fantastic working relationship with this practice and our clients receive an excellent extension of care.
We can transfer in-patients should we feel the need for continual monitoring. However, we are also happy to keep animals overnight if this is appropriate! Our nursing team do the majority of the night-time checks until 10pm. We feel this gives the best balance of patient care as animals are only moved if it is entirely beneficial for them.
At weekends, we have two vets working the morning surgery until 1pm Saturday, after which again we utilise the OOH service for any further urgent or emergency cases as well as any inpatients over the weekend.
One vet is allowed to leave at 1pm, the other remains (if necessary) to perform any ops/procedures that may have been admitted in the morning. This second vet can leave as soon as everything is finished. It is important to note that no new cases would come in after 1pm.
Weekend roles are:
- 1 in 7 Saturday Mornings (until 1pm)
- 1 in 7 Saturday Morning (possibly later finish)
Bilton Veterinary Centre is situated in Rugby which is a rapidly growing town with lots of local amenities - including cinemas, theatres, lots of different restaurants and pubs etc.
We are also within close range of some beautiful countryside locally, but also the Cotswolds and Peak District easily close enough for day or weekend trips.
We are well situated with easy access to the major transport networks to Birmingham and London in less than an hour!
We work out of single-site and so there is no branch work. Recently we have moved our practice software to Merlin PMS. We have five consulting rooms, a large main waiting area and a specific waiting room for cats. We also have separate cat kennels, separate large dog kennels and even a separate small furry ward too!
There are two dedicated sterile theatres, and two dental/dirty stations within our practice. Along with the usual equipment we have also invested in:
- Digital AGFA Radiography
- New IMS Digital Dental Radiography
- ESOATE MyLab Ultrasound with Cardiac probes and full-colour Doppler
- Tonopen Ocular Tonometry and SlitLamp
- IDEXX Catalyst Biochemistry and Procyte Haematology
- ECG machine and IMEC multiparameter monitors
- Four Humphrey ADE Anaesthetic Circuits
- Gima Electrosurgical Unit
About the Team and Culture
At Bilton, we currently have a great team of eight Veterinary Surgeons and eight fully qualified Veterinary Nurses supported by five receptionists, a PM and two practice admin supports. We have people studying for ophthalmology and feline medicine certificates as well as vets that have several areas of interest in Orthopaedics, Soft Tissue Surgery, Ophthalmology, Imaging, Cardiology, & Internal Medicine.
We really encourage our staff to follow their interests and build up their own area of expertise. Case and client continuity are of paramount importance.
As a team, we pride ourselves on being supportive and friendly with the ability to refer internally to colleagues with specific interests or skill sets. Importance is placed on structuring the day to allow time for all the jobs that a vet must do - not just consulting and operating. Our ethos is to have a happy team, able to provide a high-quality service to clients, providing good and honest veterinary care for their pet.
The successful applicant will be joining a busy practice with lots of varied cases and support, but with the opportunity to follow their own areas of interest.
Our ideal candidate would have a minimum of 2 to 3 years veterinary experience.
The successful candidate will have an interest in internal medicine and be confident with routine surgeries and dentistry.
Because our employee's matter
We recognise that our people are fundamental to the success of our business. Investing in our people, premises and processes is at the heart of what we do. In addition to a competitive base salary, you will benefit from:
- 25 days annual leave
- Increasing holiday allowance based on length of service
- Your birthday as a paid day off
- Private medical insurance
- Enhanced family-friendly policies, including maternity/paternity/adoption/shared parental and surrogacy pay
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Initiatives focused on employee wellbeing
- Non-accidental injury support
- £1200 CPD allowance with 5 days available for further training (pro rata)
- Certificate support if beneficial to practice
- Learning and development opportunities via the IVC Evidensia Academy
- Access to Vetlexicon – our online encyclopaedia provider
- All our Vets & Nurses can apply for research funding
- All our Vets get £1000 per annum to spend via our Care Fund
- Infection Prevention and Control Programme
- Quality Improvement Programme
- Professional Memberships
- BVA membership
- VDS cover
- RCVS fees
- Pawsome Benefits – reward gateway giving discounts and cashback with 100’s of retailers
- Pension – 5% Employee/3% Employer
- Discounted staff pet care
As a BAME and LGBTQ+ inclusive employer, we are keen to hear from candidates from all minority and diverse groups. As a Disability Confident Employer, we are keen to hear from candidates with disabilities and long-term health conditions and would be happy to discuss any reasonable adjustments needed during the recruitment process.
If this position is of interest to you then please get in touch.
To apply, please email your CV to Hannah via the APPLY button at or call 07816202696 for more information.