Director of Veterinary Professional Development required at IVC Evidensia
6 days left
IVC Evidensia is Europe’s largest veterinary care provider comprising an expansive network of clinics, hospitals and out-of-hour centres based across 12 countries. Our mission is bringing people together to make animal care better. We believe the best veterinary practices are those led by local teams, which is why we are pioneers in developing our people by investing in continuous professional development through education, defining best clinical standards and expanding our celebrated IVC Evidensia and Graduate academies.
The Director of Veterinary Professional Development (DVPD) will report to the Chief Medical Officer (CMO) and is responsible for strategic oversight of the Group’s veterinary educational and veterinary career development pathways. This position will work closely with the CMO, the Head of Learning and Development and the wider Group leadership team to deli-ver our aspirations to be the employer of choice for veterinary surgeons and nurses across all the countries in which the Group operates. The DVPD will form part of the senior clinical leadership team setting the direction for our clinical and veterinary professional initiatives. Further, the DVPD will work alongside our Head of L&D and closely with our People and Operations teams to ensure that career development is an integral part of our recruitment and retention strategy and we have sufficient people resource to deliver the growth projected within our Budget and Strategic Plan.
The successful candidate in this role will be responsible for the following:
- Develop and be accountable for the delivery of the veterinary career development and educational strategy within the IVC Evidensia group ensuring this is consistent across all professional groups (veterinary surgeons and veterinary nurses and specialists and generalists) and applies the most modern principles of adult education and workplace learning.
- Responsible for developing positive relationships with the veterinary educational community including European veterinary schools and educational regulators (e.g. EBVS) and ensuring internal career development opportunities align with external quality assurance structures and qualifications where relevant.
- Responsible for ensuring our development opportunities for veterinary professionals involve the integration of both clinical/technical and non-technical skills (such as leadership) as appropriate for the stage of career.
- Review current educational offerings across the Group, identify gaps and create strategies to ensure a comprehensive career development structure is in place for veterinary professionals aligned with business structures and other key strategies (e.g. referral strategy, clinical strategy).
- Create a framework for ad hoc internal clinical CPD offerings and ensure these are aligned with our educational principles and fulfil a clear need distinct from our career development programmes.
- Liaise with Marketing to ensure our internal career development programmes are marketed to the professions in an effective manner supporting our employer brand.
- Support Head of L&D in their role of ensuring operational delivery of the required number of career development programmes to provide sufficient clinical team members to meet business needs.
- Ensure consistent assessment and feedback processes are present throughout all our veterinary career development programmes to ensure participants are of sufficient quality and standard to fulfil their roles within clinics.
- Liaise with Operational teams to ensure integration of career development opportunities with business structures and needs.
- Develop and deliver appropriate post programme follow-up to support retention of individuals who have completed our recruitment training programmes.
- Provide input to Head of L&D to ensure veterinary context is given to leadership and management development strategy and activity where appropriate.
- Liaise with the Head of L&D to ensure appropriate training in clinical coaching and mentoring is available.
- Oversee engagement with veterinary students via EMS programme and provision of teaching for vet schools.
- Builds relationships with external organisations whose products integrate with our career development options (for example EBVS and middle-tier certificate providers).
- Engage with professional networks to support horizon scanning within the veterinary educational sector and ensure our internal career development options remain at the front of best practices.
- Pursue personal development of skills and knowledge necessary for the effective performance of the role, attend training when required.
- Licensed to practise as a veterinary surgeon in one of the countries in which the group operates (e.g. MRCVS).
- Further qualifications in a clinical speciality (to specialist or Advanced practitioner level) OR veterinary education is essential; further qualification in both is desirable.
- Minimum of 10 years experience as a veterinary surgeon encompassing clinical and educational environments.
- Proven clinical or organizational leadership skills and ability to lead change via influence and persuasion.
- Proven experience of working as part of a multidisciplinary team to deliver projects on time and to budget.
- Experience in managing others is desirable.
- Experience in managing a budget is desirable.
Skills & Attributes
- Commitment to professionalism, integrity and ethical standards.
- Aligned with company values – We care, we dare, we share.
- Positive outlook with confidence and belief in own abilities.
- Comfortable working remotely and under own initiative.
- Excellent clinician with the ability to ensure that the highest possible clinical and professional standards are embedded throughout our recruitment training programmes.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to inspire and motivate fellow professionals and connect across all veterinary professionals (specialist and GP vets and nurses) and managers.
- Well-honed coaching and mentoring skills, with the capability to develop confidence in individuals.
- Ability to lead and co-ordinate a team comprising people from clinical and non-clinical backgrounds to deliver high quality, effective training programmes.
- Ability to give and receive feedback to improve the team and individual performance.
- Ability to prioritize and plan own time, and time of others in the team when necessary.
- Computer literacy with knowledge of MS Office packages.
Comprehensive benefits package
Our employees are our greatest asset and we’re proud to offer a package of benefits that includes but isn’t limited to:
- 5 weeks holiday plus bank holidays
- Your birthday as a paid day off
- Discretionary annual bonus
- Private healthcare
- Professional membership fees
- VDS insurance
- £5000 per annum CPD allowance
- Up to 50% discounted staff pet care
- Membership of employee well-being/assistance programme.
- Membership of IVC Evidensia My Benefits – Access to many retail, lifestyle and travel discounts etc
As a BAME and LGBTQ+ inclusive employer, we are keen to hear from candidates from all minority and diverse groups. As a Disability Confident Employer, we are keen to hear from candidates with disabilities and long-term health conditions and would be happy to discuss any reasonable adjustments needed during the recruitment process.
If this position is of interest to you then please get in touch. Please quote BH3621 when applying for this role.
To apply or for more information, please email your CV and covering letter to Jay via the apply button.
Apply for Director of Veterinary Professional Development required at IVC Evidensia
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly