Veterinarian Official Auxiliary - Multiple locations around Scotland
Working for FSS:
Everyone who works for FSS plays their part in our shared aims – safe food and healthy eating. We employ food safety, food standards and nutrition experts including scientists, front line inspectors, enforcement and policy delivery teams and administrators.
We are an Equal Opportunities employer and we operate a Guaranteed Interview Scheme for people with disabilities who meet the minimum published criteria. We are a Disability Confident Employer and aim to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
believe our workforce should reflect the people of Scotland. We treat all staff equally and employ people on the basis of their merit – their skills, aptitudes and attitude.
FSS take pride in developing our employees, and there are numerous opportunities within Scottish Government, of which we are an Executive Agency.
The Veterinarian Official Auxiliary (VOA) role is one of the key front-line operational roles within the FSS. These staff deliver Official Controls (OC) in approved premises across Scotland, ensuring that meat produced is safe for human consumption. The core work for the VOA is the delivery of Official Controls for related to meat production in Red and White meat slaughterhouses and Game handling establishments (GHE’s) within Scotland.
At all times an FSS VOA works under the technical direction of an FSS Official Veterinarian (OV) who is the technical lead for field teams in the post mortem inspection and verification of the Food Business Operator’s (FBO) compliance with all relevant legislation as stated in the FSS’s Manual for Official Controls (SMOC). In addition the VOA is responsible for the delivery of export certification in approved establishments for export of products of animal origin, ensuring that products exported meet the requirements of importing countries as detailed in the export health certificate. The VOA will manage and work with Certification Support Officers (CSO) to gather any information and evidence to support the export certification process.
Successful candidate – what are we looking for:
You will need a Veterinarian degree or Official Veterinarians member of RCVS, as well as the FDQ Level 4 Red Meat Inspection Diploma.
1. Strong organisational skills, adaptable and able to deliver to agreed timescales and deadlines.
2. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
3. Ability to work well as part of a team as well as independently with minimum supervision to achieve objectives.
4. Able to build professional relationships with a range of internal and external stakeholders.
What do we offer?
Successful candidates will be offered Scottish Government terms and conditions and as well as a competitive salary, you‘ll have access to a comprehensive range of benefits including:
- Annual leave and public holidays: 25 days rising to 30 days after 4 years’ service plus 11.5 days public holidays
- No overnight/on call work
- Access to a diverse range of training and development opportunities including FSS External Development Sponsorship programme
- Civil Service Pension Scheme www.foodstandards.gov.scot/vacancies
- Professional membership fees relevant to your job (subject to approval)
- Non cash benefits including discounts and savings scheme, cycle to work scheme
- Generous sick pay entitlements and access to occupational health services and Employee Assistance Programme
The Head Office of FSS is based in Aberdeen, however, our Veterinarians are based in teams across Scotland. With its excellent quality of life and beautiful countryside, beaches and historical culture to explore this makes Scotland a great place to live and work.
How to apply
Click the APPLY button for the job description and further information on how to apply or visit www.foodstandards.gov.scot/vacancies
For more information
Please contact David Wilson at firstname.lastname@example.org.