Certifying Officer - Multiple locations around Scotland
Working for FSS:
Everyone who works for FSS plays their part in our shared aims – safe food and healthy eating. We employ food safety, food standards and nutrition experts including scientists, front line inspectors, enforcement and policy delivery teams and administrators.
We are an Equal Opportunities employer and we operate a Guaranteed Interview Scheme for people with disabilities who meet the minimum published criteria. We are a Disability Confident Employer and aim to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
We believe our workforce should reflect the people of Scotland. We treat all staff equally, and employ people on the basis of their merit – their skills, aptitudes and attitude.
FSS take pride in developing our employees, and there are numerous opportunities within Scottish Government, of which we are an Executive Agency.
Certifying Officers (COs) with a veterinary qualification will provide export certification for products of animal origin (POAO), primarily fish, fishery products and shellfish but other POAO may be required. This key front-line food and drink operational role will initially be based at hubs in Larkhall, Bellshill and Harthill, but other locations may become part of the network.
This is a 23 month fixed term and pensionable appointment and new entrants will normally start on the minimum of the pay range. Candidates with a disability who meet the essential criteria below will be invited to the assessments.
Successful candidate – what are we looking for:
Have or obtain within 2 months from appointment:
Veterinarian or Official Veterinarian and member of Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS)
Official Controls Qualification (Veterinary) panels –
1. Essential Skills (OCQ(V) - ES)
2. Exports General (OCQ(V) - EX)
3. Product Exports (OCQ(V) - PX)
1. Strong organisational skills, adaptable and able to deliver to agreed timescales and deadlines.
2. Excellent verbal (English) and written communication skills.
3. Ability to work well and lead a team as well as independently with minimum supervision to achieve objectives.
4. Able to build professional relationships with a range of internal and external stakeholders.
What do we offer?
Successful candidates will be offered Scottish Government terms and conditions and as well as a competitive salary, you‘ll have access to a comprehensive range of benefits including:
- Annual leave and public holidays: 25 days rising to 30 days after 4 years’ service plus 11.5 days public holidays
- No overnight/on call work
- Access to a diverse range of training and development opportunities including FSS External Development Sponsorship programme
- Civil Service Pension Scheme www.foodstandards.gov.scot/vacancies
- Professional membership fees relevant to your job (subject to approval)
- Non cash benefits including discounts and savings scheme, cycle to work scheme
- Generous sick pay entitlements and access to occupational health services and Employee Assistance Programme
The Head Office of FSS is based in Aberdeen, however, our Veterinarians are based in teams across Scotland. With its excellent quality of life and beautiful countryside, beaches and historical culture to explore this makes Scotland a great place to live and work.
How to apply
Click the APPLY button for the job description and further information on how to apply or visit www.foodstandards.gov.scot/vacancies
For more information
Please contact Steve Lomas at firstname.lastname@example.org