- Job Title and Summary: The Medical Director will lead the medical team in Phuket, ensuring medical operations runs smoothly and that animals receive the care they need. This position will ensure that protocols and policies for comprehensive care, treatment and surgical services at the shelter are being followed. The Medical Director will work under the guidance of the International Director of Animal Welfare.
- Key Responsibilities:
- Supervises and leads the Veterinary Team in Phuket.
- Manages the day to day running of the dog hospital, cat hospital and sterilisation suite.
- Oversees veterinary evaluation and triage processes for animals as they are admitted to the hospital including physical exams, vaccinations, and diagnostic work.
- Monitors surgical animal preparation, surgical procedures, and aftercare as needed for sterilisations and other surgeries.
- Monitors euthanasia procedures and adjusts when appropriate.
- Oversees and ensures thorough and accurate medical record keeping is preformed, both electronically and via treatment sheets.
- Manages the veterinary volunteer program and answers email inquiries. This includes students, nurses, and veterinarians.
- Makes sure SDF protocols are being followed and the team works ethically and always with animal welfare as a priority.
- Holds weekly (or more frequent) vet meetings and rounds to discuss medical cases, encourages CPD for veterinary staff.
- Oversees laboratory work including bloodwork, cytologies, blood transfusions.
- Schedules veterinarians for various hospital and mobile duties.
- Enforces biosecurity practices to limit the potential transmission of infectious disease.
- Is aware of practice performance indicators, ie. Staff turnover, stock turnover, patients admitted, mortality rates, etc.
- Oversees the hiring, reviewing, disciplining and terminating of employees in conjunction with the HR department.
- Liaises with the Adoption Team if an animal in the hospital’s care will be put up for adoption.
- Oversees outside treatments (animals not presenting to the clinic) and at referral clinics, approves off-site treatment expenses.
- Oversees front office hospital operations to assure timely animal pickups and returns.
- Consults veterinary and surgical cases, helps to formulate treatment plans for individual animals when asked by consulting vet.
- Makes animal return decisions, in conjunction with front office staff who will collect intake details and speak with feeders/owners/dog catchers.
- May be asked to assist with special projects such as the Phuket Dog Pound or at temples.
- As part of the Soi Dog team, is available to help as needed, even with tasks that are outside of the job description.
- Department and Supervisor: Department of Animal Welfare – International Director of Animal Welfare
- Skills and Qualifications: This person should possess a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) degree, have excellent organisation and communication skills, have the ability to work with a diverse staff, maintain a professional appearance, positive attitude, and a commitment to practicing the highest standard of medicine possible. This person should have at least 3 years’ experience working in clinical practice as well as experience working in an animal shelter setting.
- Location: Mai Khao, Phuket, Thailand
- Type of Employment: Full-time
- Five-day work a week 08:00-17:00 with two days off. (May be required to work weekend or flexible time depending on their duties as directed by their Head of Department.)
- 19 annual holidays (including Thai National Holidays) rising to 25 days with year of service
- Annual Salary Adjustment
- Housing Allowance
- Social Security
- Provident Fund
- Working visa and work permit
- Soi Dog will pay related expenses for selected candidate to come and work in Thailand such as flight, ASQ hotel for quarantine or via Phuket Sandbox, insurance which covers COVID, Non-Immigrant B Visa fee etc.
Soi Dog is an equal opportunities employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, sexuality, religion or disability.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your CV in English, together with a covering letter detailing why you think you would be appropriate for this role, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Apply for Medical Director
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly