Garth Pig Practice Ltd
Garth is looking for an enthusiastic, additional vet to join our expanding, friendly pig team in the delivery of herd health advice and monitoring. Ideally, we are looking for a vet who has pig experience but we would consider a veterinary surgeon looking for a career change or a more recently qualified vet with a strong interest in pigs. Good communica-tions skills are essential to maintain our high standards and deliver the best support to our clients.
Garth Pig Practice is one of only a few practices in the UK with 100% focus on pigs. We comprise of a team of 10 vets as well as a strong commercial and support team. The practice is based in East Yorkshire, but our client base extends throughout England and Scotland. As part of VetPartners our affiliate practices include pig practices based in East Anglia, Northumberland and Scotland as well as a leading UK poultry practice.
What We Do
- Work with owners, managers and staff as part of a pig production team to maximise health, welfare, performance and improve farm efficiency.
- Promote high welfare standards through knowledge transfer and on farm assessments.
- Clinically appraise individual pigs within farms and advise accordingly.
- Work with clients to develop and achieve farm specific business goals.
- Provide training and assessment to pig stock carers.
- Work with producers to set and review production parameters for reproduction and feeding herd performance.
- Develop and implement health improvement strategies.
As a pig veterinary surgeon, you will work very closely with clients, becoming an important part of their business. You will help to deliver our professional services and will be involved in the following:
- Farm visits with advice on welfare and husbandry, health management, housing and production.
- Post mortems examinations.
- Farm disease investigations including monitoring health status which will include various sampling procedures, abattoir inspections, and pregnancy scanning.
- Training of unit staff in person or virtually.
- Potential to be involved in trial work with various industry partners.
- Participation in industry groups and producer meetings
- Some travel and overnight stays will be necessary.
What We Offer
- A generous CPD allowance – minimum 5 days annually.
- Excellent internal support with regular veterinary meetings, guest speakers and clinical clubs.
- Pension Scheme
- Salary: highly competitive and will depend upon experience
- RCVS fees paid
- PVS & BVA membership
- Health Shield discount package.
- Car allowance
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays.
- A good work-life balance with a maximum of 1:4 weekend only rota with call outs rare.
- VDS cover
- May consider less than full time hours and geographical location can be flexible, particularly for those with greater experience
All enquiries to Rachel via the apply button.
Apply for Veterinary Surgeon
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly