Veterinary Surgeon - Durham
Purosearch currently have a fantastic opportunity to be based in a small market town in north Durham. My client are currently looking for a full time Veterinary Surgeon with at least 2-3 three years UK experience to work in their mixed practice but mainly (95%) small animal practice. An interest in exotics would be appreciated but is not essential.
Large animal cases are few and far between, but an occasional opportunity to lamb or vaccinate horses does arise! The successful applicant can avoid this side of the practice if preferred.
Backup from experienced vets is available and generously given! No solo charge.
Located in an incredibly lovely area with varied and comprehensive leisure opportunities covering virtually every interest within reasonable distance, even a new dry ski slope planned 45 minutes away. Superb shopping with the Metro Centre just up the road, and lovely countryside and coast within easy reach. Good transport links by road, rail, and air. Local swimming pool and gyms mean exercise sessions possible at lunchtimes.
• The ideal vet will be happy and confident to take on all routine surgical cases and will perhaps have attempted some of the more simple orthopaedics. They will like exotics and be willing to pop out and vaccinate the occasional horse (neither essential). They will be friendly, and able to work as a member of their happy team.
They will be looking for somewhere to settle, and there are genuine long-term prospects for our ideal candidate. They will put patient care first and be willing to treat the client’s animals as if their own, recommending the treatments and surgeries that they would use on their own pets, not just see our clients as profit opportunities.
• Varied interesting caseloads with an increasing exotics caseload and a vet interested in acupuncture. Very few surgical cases referred, but we have good local referrals for both small and large animals if needed.
• Vets are encouraged to follow their own cases, with experienced advice available if required and professional development such as operating skills encouraged and supported within the practice.
• Well equipped, recently expanded, purpose converted comfortable building a stones’ throw from town shops. Dedicated quiet ward and waiting room. Dedicated quiet comfortable euthanasia room. Digital x-ray, dental x-ray, endoscopy, ultrasound scanning, sevo-fluorane anaesthesia, physiotherapy laser, in house haematology and biochemistry, external fixation,
• 4 day working week
• NO OOH
• Friday and Mondays off – tied together to give a long weekend off approx. every 4-6 weeks
• One night per week
• 1-4 weekend covering inpatients
• There are many nights and weekends when we have no hospitalised animals requiring care, and the ‘covering in patients’ role is actually spent supporting the duty nurse – phone advice and occasionally helping with drips etc. As most inpatient care is pre-planned, this does not disrupt personal time very much.
• Salary based on experience
• Uniform tops and PPE provided
• New vets not allocated on in patient care until at least 6-8 weeks in the practice, depending on proficiency and confidence, to allow time to become familiar with the computer system and cupboards.
To hear more about this fantastic opportunity, please contact Lauren on 01904 570056 or send your up to date CV to email@example.com
To view all our vacancies, please visit www.purosearch.com
And don't forget, if this position is of no interest to you but you know someone who may be interested, please pass on our details. We offer £250* for every successful candidate referral. *Terms and conditions apply.