Official Veterinarians (OVs)
Location: Various across Scotland
Hours: Around 37.00 per week
Closing Date: 23 March 2021 at midnight
Working for FSS:
Everyone who works for FSS plays their part in our shared aims – safe food and healthy eating. We employ food safety, food standards and nutrition experts including scientists, front line inspectors, enforcement and policy delivery teams and administrators.
We are an Equal Opportunities employer and we operate a Guaranteed Interview Scheme for people with disabilities who meet the minimum published criteria. We are a Disability Confident Employer and aim to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
We believe our workforce should reflect the people of Scotland. We treat all staff equally, irrespective of sex, marital status, age, race, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, religion or belief, working pattern, gender identity or caring responsibility. We employ people on the basis of their merit – their skills, aptitudes and attitude.
FSS take pride in developing our employees, and there are numerous opportunities within Scottish Government, of which we are an Executive Agency.
The core work for the Official Veterinarians (OVs) is the delivery of Official Controls for safe meat production in Red and White meat slaughter-houses and Game handling establishments within Scotland.
The FSS OV provides a technical and leadership role, in approved premises providing technical advice and direction to the plant inspection team to ensure the efficient and consistent delivery of Official Controls and associated tasks, as defined within the Scottish Manual of Official Controls (SMOC).
FSS OVs also deliver audit and certification services as part of the Official Controls they deliver, and may also be involved in the development of technical instructions and policy, related to specific portfolio areas.
Successful Candidates – what are we looking for?
Membership of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (MRCVS)
Official Veterinarian (Red/White) or OV Appointment
Please note: If you fail to demonstrate how you meet the minimum qualifications as stated above, your application will be automatically sifted out.
- Strong organisational skills, adaptable and able to deliver to agreed timescales and deadlines.
- Excellent verbal (English) and written communication skills.
- Ability to work well and lead a team as well as independently with minimum supervision to achieve objectives.
- Able to build professional relationships with a range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Government veterinary competency for B2
- People Management
- Analysis and use of evidence
- Communications and engagement
- Must be willing to travel to various locations.
- Must hold a valid driving license and own a private vehicle or be able to travel to work by other suitable means of transport.
- Must be able to pass a colour blindness test.
What do we offer?
Food Standards Scotland is a Non-Ministerial Office, which is part of the Scottish Administration, employing staff on Scottish Government main terms and conditions and pay arrangements. For more information please contact email@example.com
Full Time or part-time permanent contract
How to apply
For a job description and further information on how to apply please click the apply button or contact the recruiting manager:
Joan Bricall 07765 221628, Joan.Bricall@fss.scot