Does the idea of contributing to the delivery of new and better medicines appeal to you?
Are you a Veterinary Surgeon looking for a change in your career?
Do you have experience working in laboratory animal welfare?
Does the idea of working outside of general practice appeal?
Would you like to be involved with work that benefits both people and animals, through the development of products for both human and veterinary pharmaceutical industries?
Join Covance, one of the world’s largest and most respected contract research organizations and be part of a global veterinary team providing essential specialist clinical services at the cutting edge of research for the pharmaceutical industry. We have currently two great job openings.
We are looking for a highly motivated full-time clinical veterinarian to join our Animal Welfare and Veterinary Services Department, at Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire.
You will join a global team of laboratory animal veterinarians providing excellent clinical services.
Our prime focus is animal welfare, working to support the company in fulfilling its obligations under the Animal (Scientific Procedures) Act 1986 (amended 2012). Our workload is varied, involving the provision of veterinary care training of staff and direct veterinary contributions to the conduct of studies, such as anaesthesia and ophthalmology examinations. Additionally we advise on welfare, husbandry, animal health and study protocols.
We provide a highly professional, collaborative and friendly environment where you will find plenty of opportunities for CPD and further qualifications up to specialist level, and will enjoy a generous compensation package.
Huntingdon is a vibrant market town in Cambridgeshire located only 20 miles from the historic city of Cambridge. Transport links are excellent with only a 50-minute train journey into London and easy access to the A1 and Stansted Airport. The Huntingdon area offers a huge number of things to do, and has the beautiful Leicestershire countryside on its doorstep.
Main Responsibilities for our Clinical Veterinarians:
- Provide laboratory animal medical and surgical care by examination, treatment, and advice to ensure adequate and humane veterinary support, at independent, senior level.
- Assist Named Veterinary Surgeon to ensure that company policies and practices regarding animal care and welfare are in compliance with relevant regulations.
- Assist in training of staff.
- Assist with animal welfare-regulated regulatory/administrative duties.
- Serve on the Animal Welfare and Ethical Review Body, as needed.
- Perform physical examinations of laboratory animals as indicated in protocols and SOP.
- Perform ophthalmic or other veterinary examinations on laboratory animals.
- Provide scientific expertise on animal health, biology, physiology, and research methodology to staff scientists and technicians.
- Membership/eligibility for membership in the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons required
- 5 years’ experience in the laboratory animal medicine or science field preferred
- Board certification or eligibility for board certification in the European College of Laboratory Animal Medicine encouraged but not required
- Knowledge of small and large animals used in research, but training can be given to the successful candidate in specific fields (i.e. ophthalmology)
In order to apply, please click the apply button.
Covance is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer:
Covance is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.