New Graduate Vet Surgeon
3 days left
We are a long standing independent small animal practice. Our strapline sums up the ethos of the clinic; “Modern Healthcare, Traditional Values”. We offer the highest level of patient care combined with good, old-fashioned customer care.
We have a commitment to supporting certificates. We offer a large and diverse caseload in a busy practice appropriate for certificate study. Particular interests of vets actively encouraged and supported.
• Eleven vet small animal practice. Traditional partnership with two partners.
• Four day working week. Minimal out-of-hours
• RxWorks computer system with live link to branches
• Five consulting rooms at main branch
• 2 operating theatres
o Prep area with tub table and scrub sink.
o Further ‘dirty’/ dental tub table
o Digital main x-ray plus separate dental x-ray facilities.
o New colour doppler ultrasound machine
o Endoscopy: Rigid, flexible bronchoscope, flexible gastroscope
o Isoflo anaesthesia
o Full ASIF orthopaedic kit, securos locking plate system, traumadrive drill set.
o Dental room tub table, dental unit with high speed drill, fibre optic light, scaler and polisher. Dental x-ray as above. Equipment relating to restorative dentistry.
o Laboratory – Idexx: Procyte, Catalyst, SnapShot, microscope etc. Same day courier service for any external samples for Idexx.
o Shoreline kennelling plus two walk-in kennels
o Isolation unit with shoreline kennels plus further walk-in
• 10 nurses
• 16 receptionists
• One practice manager
• A duty consists of taking the phone only until 10pm. After 10pm the phones are diverted to VetsNow.
• One whole weekday off every week (the same day every week).
• One early finish every week – on the day before your day off we do not work the evening surgery and would expect to leave by 5pm (the exception to this is when your day off is on Monday).
• One weeknight on duty every other week (Mon-Thurs)
• In every eight weeks (on current staffing levels)
o Six weekends are completely free.
o One weekend on first call
– working Saturday morning and afternoon surgery then covering emergencies until Monday morning (but only up to 10pm each evening). Afternoon surgery on Saturday runs until 4pm then we see only emergency cases. We hold a surgery on Sunday morning for urgent and emergency cases only.
o One weekend on second call
– Friday night on first call then Saturday morning consulting until 1pm.
• We start consulting at 8am and the last consults are booked at 6.30pm.
• Consultations are 15 minutes.
• The day is broken into consulting slots typically lasting 1-2 hours.
• We try to ensure that everyone is timetabled to operate for 2 mornings every week, either 1000-1500 or 0800-1400
• The branch work is worked in with the above depending on days off etc. We try to limit the number of vets who are regularly at any particular branch.
• Initially the role would be entirely at the main surgery with the option to start working out of branches if desired in future.
4 weeks annual holiday - we are happy that longer holidays can be taken provided that this is taken as unpaid leave. We try to give everyone a block of time off over Christmas and New Year depending on how the holiday falls.
We work Bank Holidays in rotation and have time off in lieu.
5 days annually. A token budget of £1000 is included in the contract but is generally exceeded.
Available on request if available.
Is dependant on experience and will be discussed at interview. In addition to salary, we pay to the vet on call 30% of fees received (ex vat) for all work done out-of-hours. Our vets generally expect to receive approximately £3000-6000pa in addition to their generous basic salary.
Apply for New Graduate Vet Surgeon
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly