Wildlife Veterinary Pathologist (Full-time / Permanent)
Location: ZSL London Zoo and ZSL Whipsnade Zoo
We’re ZSL, an international conservation charity. Our vision is a world where wildlife thrives and we’re working every day to achieve this. From investigating the health threats facing animals, to helping people and wildlife live alongside each other, we are committed to bringing wildlife back from the brink of extinction. Through the work of our pioneering scientists, our dedicated conservationists and our unrivalled animal experts in our two zoos, our purpose is to inspire, inform and empower people to stop wild animals going extinct.
A permanent opportunity has arisen in the Wildlife Health Services department at ZSL London Zoo and ZSL Whipsnade Zoo, to lead our Pathology & Diagnostics team. With a huge and diverse living collection of animals across two sites, investigating illness and mortality is a key role of the department, and having an in-house Pathology
& Diagnostics team is an essential part of achieving this.
Outline of Role:
ZSL 200, our new strategy, recognises Wildlife Health as one of three priority areas. Essential components of our wildlife health science and practice are specific, evidence-based diagnostic methods to evaluate morbidity and mortality in captive and free-living wildlife. A board-certified pathologist is required to provide essential technical leadership in wildlife pathology.
Reporting to the Assistant Director of Wildlife Health Services, the Wildlife Veterinary Pathologist will ensure provision of pathological and diagnostic investigation for the animals in our Zoos and, more widely, to
our Science and Conservation projects that require these specialist services. The Wildlife Veterinary Pathologist will lead the Pathology and Diagnostic Services team to reach diagnoses, follow and respond to morbidity and mortality trends, supervise Pathology Residents, provide teaching, and conduct and publish relevant research.
The successful candidate will ideally be able to demonstrate the following criteria:
- Membership of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS) is essential
- American or European Board certification in Veterinary pathology is essential
- Broad taxonomic experience in, and commitment to, zoo and wildlife pathology is essential
- Record of relevant publications and presentations is essential
- Proven ability to write detailed reports, strategic documents, policies and procedures is essential
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to motivate, inspire and support ZSL’s shared vision, purpose and values essential
- Demonstrated experience with databases is essential
- Track record of excellent H&S understanding and risk management essential
- Track record of working both alone and as part of a multi-disciplinary team is essential
- Clean driving licence is essential
- Experience in both practical training and teaching of veterinary pathology in an academic environment is desirable
- Clear evidence through long-term affiliations and memberships of a commitment to conservation is desirable
- Experience in managing budgets is desirable
Please Note: This is a full-time, permanent contract expected to run from August 2019. The post will be based at ZSL’s head office in Regents Park however, will require the post holder to travel to Whipsnade Zoo.
What's on Offer:
This role offers a competitive salary plus a comprehensive benefits package including 25 days holiday, stakeholder pension where the employer minimum contribution is 7%, complimentary zoo tickets and more!
Applicants will need to upload their CV and covering letter (detailing relevant experience and skills, stating why they want the position and including details of availability) and can do this by clicking the apply button on the ZSL website. If you have any queries regarding this position or when applying through the system, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.
Closing date: midnight (23:59) Sunday 30th June 2019.
The Zoological Society of London is a charity registered in England and Wales: no. 208728.