Named Veterinary Surgeon
At Covance your imagination, your dedication, and your drive to find solutions to challenging projects begin on your very first day. Covance is one of the world’s largest and most respected contract research organizations. Our clients are a Who’s Who of the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industry. We are currently recruiting for an additional full time veterinarian to join our team at our preclinical facility in Harrogate, North Yorkshire.
Serve as a named veterinary surgeon per UK animal welfare-related regulations and guidelines.
The key roles of the named veterinary surgeon:
- Provide veterinary health care for laboratory animals, give advice regarding the care and use of laboratory animals, and provide training for scientists and technicians.
- Monitor animal health and welfare in compliance with all applicable animal welfare regulations and help maintain facilities for AAALAC accreditation.
- Provide oversight of the animal care and use program and drive compliance with regulatory groups and agencies.
- Assure animal health and quality.
- Promote animal well-being.
- Oversee the surgical and surgical care program.
- Provide veterinary, scientific and technical expertise.
- Provide protocol-driven ophthalmology and other applicable veterinary services.
- Oversee animal welfare-related regulatory compliance activities as applicable.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Execute duties of the named veterinary surgeon/Attending Veterinarian per local animal welfare-related regulations and guidelines.
- Provide laboratory animal medical and surgical care by examination, treatment and advice to ensure adequate and humane veterinary support.
- Safeguard, monitor and advise on the welfare of animals.
- Advise on and assist implementation of the principles of replacement, reduction and refinement.
- Ensure that company policies and practices regarding animal care and welfare are in compliance with relevant regulations.
- Report all animal care concerns, as appropriate.
- Receive any concerns regarding animal welfare from other employees or others in strict confidence and pass those concerns on to company management while preserving the confidentiality of the source.
- Lead or assist in investigations where the welfare of animals has given rise to concern, and become involved in the resolution and appropriate corrective action, when required.
- Advise on and participate in the training of technical and professional staff as required. Manage development and training of veterinary staff to meet business and personal needs.
- Serve on the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee or similar Ethical Review Body.
- Where applicable advise Project License Holders on applications for new or amended project licenses, particularly with regard to animal care and welfare, and with regard to implementation of procedures leading to replacement, reduction and refinement of animal use.
- Assess and approve breeders, suppliers and transporters of laboratory animals, suppliers of foodstuffs, bedding and other relevant supplies, and external diagnostic laboratories, to ensure they meet appropriate health, welfare and quality standards.
- Assess and interpret the results of health screening of animals and recommend appropriate action.
- Monitor animal suppliers' health screens and recommend appropriate action.
- Maintain veterinary records to a proper professional standard for all protected animals.
- Monitor and advise on the health of animals. Assist in ensuring the maintenance of the health of animals and the prevention of infectious disease. Advise on and implement animal health control and monitoring programs.
- Advise and provide scientific expertise on animal health, biology, physiology, and research methodology to staff scientists and technicians. Advise on and perform anaesthesia, analgesia, surgical techniques, post-operative care, euthanasia and other veterinary or scientific procedures required for study purposes.
- Advise and assist sponsors, study managers and technical staff with the development of experimental models, techniques and/or equipment as appropriate and required.
- Keep abreast of current developments in the fields of laboratory animal medicine, science and welfare through appropriate continuing education.
- Comply with and assist in the implementation of the company's health and safety policies.
- Assist in advising on zoonotic hazards and appropriate control measures.
- Write, review and authorize standard operating procedures, policies and procedures and other documentation. Manage preparation of complex documentation and programs (e.g. AAALAC accreditation program).
- Advise on direct the use of and authorise the purchase of controlled drugs and prescription-only medicines, and ensure proper control measures are in place.
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Interacts with Covance senior management and scientific leaders, study directors, technicians, account executives and client services staff.
- Interacts with sponsor representatives, regulatory inspectors, AAALAC site visitors and vendor managers.
Education / Qualifications
- Membership in the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons required/Eligible for membership in the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons.
Experience in the laboratory animal medicine or science field preferred.
- Knowledge of small and large animals used in research.
- Must be able to work in a laboratory setting with laboratory animals.
To apply, please click the apply button.
Share on your newsfeed
Tell Us About Yourself
Not ready to apply? Connect with us to join our talent community.