Veterinary Officer (Full-Time/Permanent)
We’re ZSL, an international conservation charity. Our vision is a world where wildlife thrives and we’re working every day to achieve this. From investigating the health threats facing animals, to helping people and wildlife live alongside each other, we are committed to bringing wildlife back from the brink of extinction. Through the work of our pioneering scientists, our dedicated conservationists and our unrivalled animal experts in our two zoos, our purpose is to inspire, inform and employ people to stop wild animals going extinct.
With a new ZSL-wide strategic focus on wildlife health, we are going to employ a veterinarian with expertise and experience in the health and welfare of wild animals in captive and free-living settings. As well as working directly, as part of a large multi-disciplinary team, on clinical and pathological cases in our preventive and reactive medicine plans, this veterinarian will teach, take part in field-programmes and conduct and publish research.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure continuous best practice veterinary care for all animals at ZSL London Zoo and ZSL Whipsnade Zoo.
- Report and publish appropriate clinical research material in journals and textbooks, maintaining and developing a departmental portfolio that supports the wider scientific profile of ZSL.
- Train students on courses run by ZSL and the RVC, through formal teaching and practical and clinical training, to increase wildlife health capacity internationally.
- Provide wildlife health input to, and participate in, Science, Conservation and Zoos & Engagement projects that require it.
- Produce routine reports allowing for rapid, collective action to continuously improve standards of care and welfare.
- Provide input to the planning and design of new animal facilities at ZSL London Zoo and ZSL Whipsnade Zoo.
- Comply with all relevant legislation and ZSL policies, including Health & Safety, COSHH, firearms and Veterinary Medicines Act requirements, at ZSL London Zoo and ZSL Whipsnade Zoo.
- Assist with the development of a Wildlife Health plan to establish how our focus on this priority area will translate into action, ensuring our science leads to practice and vice versa.
- Membership of the RCVS essential.
- Proven experience in the veterinary care of zoo and wild animals across a very wide range of species.
- Experience in practical training of veterinary techniques and teaching in an academic environment.
- A record of relevant peer-reviewed publications and presentations.
- Experience in the use of remote drug-delivery firearms and systems.
- A current UK firearms license, or ability to fulfil the necessary criteria to obtain one.
- A valid UK driving licence and the ability to travel independently between ZSL sites.
- Official Veterinarian status (in relevant qualifications), or the ability to become an OV.
Please APPLY now and be redirected to our site for application details.
Closing date for applications: Midnight (23:59) Friday 11th January 2019.
The Zoological Society of London is a charity registered in England and Wales: no. 208728.